Because

The Musings of

Something full of magic, religion, bullsh*t.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Friday Spies ©: In Lieu of Actual Content Edition

From the BTQ boys, long may they ride:

1. What's your favorite season?

Easy. Baseball season. What's not to love about summer??? I mean, besides the humidity, scalding temperatures, and mosquitoes the size of model airplanes. Summer is sunny days at the beach/lake, playing league softball, barbecuing, chicks in bikinis, sunlight until 9 p.m., no school, etc.

2. Do you have a green thumb?

Quite. I have plants all over my loft -- even hanging from the sprinkler system 15 feet in the air. I am quite attentive, and for that reason I can grow most anything but ferns, which I tend to kill by overwatering.

Unfortunately, my skill don't transfer to people. I've killed several roomates by not giving them enough sun or burying their roots too deep.

3. What is your favorite sport to watch? What is your favorite
sport to play? Do you have a sports hero?


Unlike 99% of the world, I can sit and watch baseball all day, yet rarely do because I'm running around. I miss the days when I had time to catch a couple of games on a Saturday.

The best sport to play is rugby, hands down. I was introduced to the sport in law school and played some after graduation with a local team. I'm not a great rugger, but damn is it fun. It's like an organized adult league of "Kill the Man with the Ball."

My sports hero is Dale Murphy from when I was young enough to have a hero. I grew up in Atlanta watching Murphy and the rest of the Braves lose season after season. Even 20-odd years ago, sports stars were beginning to look decidedly human (as compared to today, when the love of the game has been all but replaced by greed and ego), but Murphy was a fantastic role model. He was a great player, he was a team player, and he is a good man. Hell, in Georgia he was so clean that he did milk commercials. I wish we had more like him playing today.

4. Which would you rather be: Mayor, Governor, Senator, or President?

Tough call. I worked in politics for years, both federal and state, but my heart has always been in the state capitals or "laboratories of democracy." Being mayor is a pointless and thankless job, unless you're the mayor of a major city, while being President is just too much stress. That narrows the field down to Governor or Senator. I would certainly prefer to be a legislator than an executive, so Senator is looking good, but I really don't like living in D.C., which throws the race back open. If I could choose my state, then I would prefer to be Governor, but if I'm force to run here in Texas, I think I might as well move on to the U.S. Senate.

5. What are ten must-own items for single men and single women?

Hell, I'm not qualified to give advice to single men, much less single women. But that never stopped me before, so . . .

Men should have the following:
  1. A good set of pillows - I've known too many single guys who are using the same pillow they did as a child, and it is now brown, flat, and just generally nasty. Invest $20 in a decent pillow, you cheap bastard.

  2. A good set of towels -- See #1.

  3. A grill -- the single guy's stove.

  4. A well-worn baseball cap -- I see too many guys wearing new caps that make them look like they couldn't tell the business end of a Louisville Slugger from a wombat.

  5. A pickup truck -- what are you a girl? Get out of that Maxima.

  6. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon/Johnny Cash's The Sun Years -- there is plenty of good Johnny Cash, but this is my favorite collection. There are many albums that should be in every guy's collection, but this sets the minimum for acceptable.

  7. A copy of Atlas Shrugged -- mandatory metal, baby.

  8. A decent pocket knife.

  9. A bottle of decent wine -- because some chicks won't drink beer

  10. A good right (or left) hook -- because sometimes life gives you lemons

What single women need (now there's a loaded question):

  1. A gun

  2. A six pack of good beer in the fridge -- because some guys won't drink wine.

  3. F*ck-me pumps.

  4. A toolbox (preferably with tools).

Ill put others down as I think of them.
 
Centinel 3:40 PM #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment