Because

The Musings of

Something full of magic, religion, bullsh*t.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Let's see Posner top this . . .

When I clerked, my co-clerk and I would play a little game where we would challenge each other to try to get a word into an opinion or order -- something like "bamboozled" or "finagled." My crowning achievement was getting the judge to cite to a Pink Floyd song (no, it's not published).

My meager accomplishments, however, pale next to one of Judge Evans' clerks in the Seventh Circuit who somehow managed to get this footnote in an opinion:

The trial transcript quotes Ms. Hayden as saying Murphy called her a snitch bitch "hoe." A "hoe," of course, is a tool used for weeding and gardening. We think the court reporter, unfamiliar with rap music (perhaps thankfully so), misunderstood Hayden's response. We have taken the liberty of changing "hoe" to "ho," a staple of rap music vernacular as, for example, when Ludacris raps "You doin' ho activities with ho tendencies."
Murphy v. Baker, No. 04-2032, slip op. at 2 n.1 (7th Cir. May 4, 2005).

Well played, my friend.
 
Centinel 11:36 AM #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment