Because

The Musings of

Something full of magic, religion, bullsh*t.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Now get the hell out, gringo!

Even though I live in Texas, immigration is not a "hot button" issue for me. When I do think of it, I'm often torn between my paleo-con-like tendencies to want to enforce immigration laws, seal the borders, and to quit making it easy for foreigners not to assimilate into society, and my libertarian/capitalist tendencies that recognize the economic and cultural importance of immigrants to America and would like to see them assimilated into our dominant culture.

Usually, the libertarian in me wins out, but something I read today actually gave me pause. For instance, not giving two figs about California's self-imposed problems, I paid only passing attention to Gov. Schwarzenegger's recently bumbled comments concerning immigration. I knew he stated that America should close it's borders, but I believed then as I do now that he misspoke.

Whatever the case, I missed the whole deal about the "Los Angeles, CA Mexico" billboard. In case you did too, here it is:

The supporters of the billboard have been making light of the controversy, pointing out that it was an attempt at using humor to reach the Mexican and Spanish-speaking populous of L.A.

Perhaps. But there is a serious issue bubbling underneath. Termed the "Reconquista," named after the Christians driving the Moors from Spain, there is a group of Mexican activists who believe that the 1845 annexation of Texas, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo after the Mexican-American War, and the 1852 Gadsden Purchase were all illegal and that those current lands -- Texas, New Mexico, California, etc. -- are rightfully Mexico's. And don't think for a minute that this is a fringe movement, 58% of Mexicans subscribe to this view, as have past and current Mexican presidents. There is a belief that the rising influx of Mexican immigrants are part of an uncoordinated movement to "take back" the land stolen from Mexico by slowly taking over the populations of these states. Here is a great summary of the history between Mexico and the US on this issue that explains why Mexico holds no claim to any US territory.

So tonight, if you live in "contested" territory, as you drink your maragitas and Coronas under a plethora of pinatas and stings of lights made to look like chilies, remember, your busboy is only waiting to take over so he can kick your gringo butt to the curb.

As for the rest of the country, what's the real downside here? That you lose Texas and California? Is that something to really be upset about?
 
Centinel 8:34 AM #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment