Because

The Musings of

Something full of magic, religion, bullsh*t.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday Spies

For lack of better entertainment, I once again wade into the sludge that is your Good Friday Spies.

1. What blog, other than your own, do you read the most?

It's all I can do lately to read anything, but when I do read it's probably Begging the Question (I believe they included this question to stroke their own egos). I also read Soupie's BBQ & Daycare pretty often, as well. Why? Most likely because these two are at the top of my own blog list, and I'm usually so worn by Milbarge's latest 6,000-word post on the legal issue of the day that it's a wonder I can go on with my life at all, much less continue sifting through the nuggets of wisdom and skill represented by the blogs to your left.

2. Are you a gadget person? Do you have the latest thingamajigs and whoozits and geegaws? What sort of gadgets do you own?

Yeah, I usually have an assortment of gadget type things laying around. They include my RCA Lyra, my projector, my Blackberry, my digital camera, 3 smaller mp3 players, my video camera, and I even have a mini-disc player that I don't use. In my defense, I don't have any video-gaming systems or an iPod. My next toy will likely be satellite radio. I would likely be up to my whoozit in geegaws if I didn't have the calming, yet restrictive, influence of my lovely wife.

3. If I gave you $1000 on the condition that you couldn't spend it on something responsible (e.g., bills), or save it, what would you do with the money? (Can you tell that a Democrat is asking that question?)

Beer.

4. What are your five favorite sitcoms of all time, other than "Seinfeld" and "The Simpsons"?

South Park, M*A*S*H, Blackadder, Family Guy, Night Court

5. Organize a film festival based on a theme. Choose a theme and a handful of movies with that theme, and tell us what you've chosen.

My theme is "Alienation and man's attempt to find his place in the world."

1. "Out of Time" Relentless French film about a seemingly normal man who has become spiritually adrift after losing his job, and the bizarre things he does in his attempt to find purpose.

2. "Ikiru" Kurosawa's intimate film about a dusty, closed-off bureaucrat who is forced to recognize his humanity when he discovers he is dying.

3. "The Breakfast Club" Best treatment of the confusion of being a teenager. Brilliant, yet funny.

4. "Oldboy" Disturbing Japanese film about a man who is released after being held captive in a private prison for 15 years without knowing why he is there. Viscerally touches the core of the need to know who we are. [Ed.: Nod to the well-spoken free spirit, j-a, for pointing out that Oldboy is KOREAN not Japanese.]

5. "In America" Touching story of an Irish family's attempt to rebuild themselves by immigrating to America.

6. "Grosse Pointe Blank" Shows that no man is an island, and that sometimes the path to redemption leads backwards.

7 "Eraserhead" Bizarre, macabre, and unforgettable film that will almost make you feel alienated by just watching it. Everything in this film speaks to spiritual isolation. Creepy.
 
Centinel 3:41 PM #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment